Why we like it: ARDEX WPM 1000 is a flexible and elastic rubber under tile membrane system which provides a higher quality and durable alternative to a liquid-applied membrane below tiles. It is installed using a hot-air gun instead of an open flame as with torch-on membranes and, unlike torch-on's, can be directly stuck to with tile adhesives which gives the option of installing the membrane on top of the screed where necessary.
- Rooftops (Concealed)
- Under tile
- Canal and pond linings
- Versatile - suitable for a range of applications including below ground, roofs and under tile.
- Tiling can be done directly on the membrane after 60 minutes
- Thin & consistent waterproofing gauge.
- Available with a unique clamp waste outlet.
- Conforms to AS 4654.1 - Waterproofing membranes for external above-ground use - Materials.
- Excellent gas impermeability
- Remains flexible at low temperatures.
- Laps and corners are to be heat formed and/ or welded.
- Made up of synthetic rubber with properties which resist ageing from heat, sunlight and ozone.
- Use approved tile adhesives only (X77, X56 STS8/E90, Quickbond/Abalastic, 2 part Optima or ABAFLEX).
- Materials warranty only applicable if installed by ARDEX approved applicator.
- LOSP (Light Organic Solvent Preservative) treated plywood must NOT be used under Undertile Butynol in any circumstances or conditions.
- Not suitable as a trafficable surface.
- Substrates must be dry when ARDEX WPM 1000 is applied. The plywood and timber substructure shall have a maximum moisture content of 20% when ARDEX WPM 1000 is adhered.
- Compatible with under tile heating systems. For electric under tile heating, the wire must be covered by a thin screed prior to laying the membrane.
- NZBC B2.3.1(b) 15 years
VOC Content: 3 g/L (DOWNLOAD Certificate)
Systems & Installation
Adhesive: ARDEX WA98
Single membrane layer: ARDEX WPM 1000 (60 minutes drying time until tiling)
Tile adhesive: X77, X56 STS8/E90, Quickbond/Abalastic, 2 part Optima or ABAFLEX.
ADHESIVES FOR USE WITH ARDEX WPM 1000
ARDEX WA98 - The standard contact brushing, spray grade and rolling solvent free adhesive for fixing to the substrate. Supplied in 20L plastic containers
Plywood & Timber:
Substrates must be dry when ARDEX WPM 1000 is applied. The plywood and timber substructure shall have a maximum moisture content of 20% when ARDEX WPM 1000 is adhered.
NOTE: LOSP (Light Organic Solvent Preservative) treated plywood must NOT be used under ARDEX WPM 1000 in any circumstances or conditions.
Must be cured for a minimum of 28 days and all curing compounds removed prior to application. A reduction in cure time can be achieved by utilising the ARDEX WPM 300 HydrEpoxy System (consult ARDEX Technical Department for details).
Must be clean from any contaminants prior to application
OTHER SUBSTRATE TYPES
Fibre cement compressed sheet, closed cell polyurethane foam, wet wall linings i.e. Gib Aqualine, VillaBoard.
Roll out ARDEX WPM 1000 and cut to the measured length. Smooth ARDEX WPM 1000 on contact to minimise air entrapment beneath the membrane.
Floor sheets of ARDEX WPM 1000 must extend up the wall at least 150mm. Make sure the ARDEX WPM 1000 is laid tightly into all corners. Wall sheets of ARDEX WPM 1000 should overlap the 150mm upstand.
Weld seams and laps with the Leister Triac S Hot Air Gun. Roll with a rubber roller to ensure seams and laps are secure.
Walls, internal corners & transitions
Apply the ARDEX WPM 1000 membrane 1800mm up the walls or to a height of 150mm above the shower rose. For unenclosed showers the membrane must extend a minimum of 1500mm out from the shower rose.
ARDEX WPM 1000 is not suitable as a trafficable surface. ARDEX WPM 1000 is compatible with undertile heating systems. For electric undertile heating, the wire must be covered with a thin screed prior to laying the membrane.
It is the responsibility of the main building contractor to ensure all sub-trades likely to be working in the vicinity of the membrane are aware that a waterproofing membrane has been installed and all care must be taken to protect the membrane from damage. The tiler must lay tiles in accordance with best practice guidelines.
Stockists & Pricing
Projects & Installers
Pool of Reflection, Hyde Park, Sydney
1450 sqm of ARDEX WPM 1000 applied to line the ‘Pool of Reflection’ Memorial located in Hyde Park in Sydney’s CBD.
Bowling Green, Waitara, NSW
A new green installed in layers comprising of ARDEX WPM 1000, sand, drainage cell, synthetic grass.
Harry Seidler's Grosvenor Place - The Fifth Facade, Sydney, NSW
Ardex WPM 1000 WeldTec 'Under Tile' Butynol was installed on Harry Seidler's The Fifth Facade in Grosvenor Place, Sydney.
King Street, North Melbourne
400 sqm. of ARDEX WPM 1000 was installed to bridge cracks in the roof slab, instead of a liquid system.
ARDEX WPM 1000 Undertile ButynolSolvent-based roofing contact adhesive for ARDEX Butynol waterproofing systems