Coverage: 9.15 m²/sheet
- Planter boxes
- Garden beds
- Roof gardens
- Flower beds
- Green civil works
- Tanking membrane in horizontal and vertical applications
- Positive vapour barrier
- Excellent resistance to pollutants and ageing
- High flexibility during application at sub-zero temperature with no physical strain
- Maintains shape stability at high temperatures
- High resistance to perforation
- Resists root growth ingress into both the membrane and the laps
- After all membranes have been installed they shall be protected from mechanical damage by placing ARDEX Protection Board against the membrane before backfilling. The board shall be fixed using PVC Duct Tape, do not use mechanical fixing that will puncture or penetrate the membrane.
ARDEX WPM 188 is an S.B.S. (Styrene Butadine Styrene) torch applied modified bitumen waterproofing membrane, consisting of a specially formulated bituminous compound of distilled asphalt modified with selected high grade visco-elastic polymers and reinforced with a high quality combined reinforcement (fibreglass and polyester) and treated with preventive chemicals to stop roots from plants damaging the membrane.
The exceptional elongation properties of SBS combined with the strength and dimensional stability of the reinforcing, provides an excellent waterproofing membrane for new and existing constructions.
ARDEX WPM 188 is coated with either a sanded or talc top surface finish, while the bottom surface is embossed and protected by a heat sensitive polythene film. This type of finish for the lower surface has been chosen for two specific purposes.
- To act as a temperature gauge during application. When the film melts it shows that the compound is at the correct temperature.
- The embossing is to allow the gases to rapidly escape when heated to its correct installation temperature avoiding possible problems of bubbling and blistering.
Systems & Installation
All surfaces to which the ARDEX Shelterbit systems are installed must be properly prepared prior to installation. All surfaces must be clean, dry, smooth, and free of sharp edges, fines, loose or foreign materials, oil, grease and other materials which may damage the membrane. New concrete must be cured a minimum of 28 days prior to the installation.
Apply to all surfaces one coat of ARDEX WPM 240 Bituminous Primer at a coverage rate of 5 square metres per litre and allow to dry thoroughly.
A layer of ARDEX WPM 188 shall be installed over all positive side surfaces by LPG torch application techniques by an ARDEX accredited applicator. The ARDEX WPM 188 must be fully bonded to the prepared substrate with side laps of 7.5cm and end laps of 10cm. The membrane must be detailed in accordance with ARDEX recommendations. Overlaps shall be sealed by torch.
The ARDEX WPM 188 membrane shall extend to at least 100mm above the backfill level. The top edge of the membrane shall be finished using an ARDEX Pressure Seal to prevent ingress of water behind the membrane.
After all membranes have been installed they shall be protected from mechanical damage by placing ARDEX Protection Board against the membrane before backfilling. The board shall be fixed using PVC Duct Tape – do not use mechanical fixing that will puncture or penetrate the membrane.
Stockists & Pricing
Projects & Installers
No example projects listed
ARDEX WPM 188 (Shelterbit)2 mm SBS Fibre Reinforced Bitumen Membrane for General and Below Ground Use