Vulkem 45SSL is formulated for use in expansion joints in:
- Side Walks
- Swimming Pool Decks
- Any other horizontal surfaces with slopes up to 6%
- Vulkem 45SSL is a traffic rated, pourable, semi-self-leveling sealant with exceptional primerless adhesion and movement capability.
- Vulkem 45SSL is suitable for continuous immersion in non-chlorinated water.
- The Vulkem 45SSL technology provides the sealant with greater UV resistance and will not out gas.
- Vulkem 45SSL provides exceptional wear and tear resistance required in high traffic areas.
- Formulated with an innovative polymer technology, similar to TREMproof 250GC and Dymonic 100, Vulkem 45SSL is highly versatile and has a unique capability to adhere to damp or green concrete.
- Use with adequate ventilation.
- Always utilise the accompanying SDS for information on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and Health Hazards.
- Vulkem 45SSL is not recommended for use in chlorinated, potable, heavy or waste water.
- Although Vulkem 45SSL is paintable, this does not imply adhesion to and compatibility with all paints.
Compliances and Accreditations
Systems & Installation
- Surfaces must be sound and clean. All release agents, existing waterproofing, dust, loose mortar, paints, other finishes or field applied coating must be removed. This can be accomplished with a thorough wire brushing, grinding, sandblasting, or solvent washing, depending on the contamination.
- Tremco recommends that surface temperatures be 5˚C or above at the time the sealant is applied. If sealant must be applied in temperatures below 5˚C, please contact your local Tremco Representative.
- Vulkem 45SSL typically adheres to common construction substrates without primers. However, Tremco always recommends that a mock-up or field adhesion test be performed on the actual materials being used on the job to verify the need for a primer, proper cleaning and prep requirements.
- Where deemed necessary, use Vulkem Primer 191QD on porous substrates and TREMprime Non-Porous Primer for metals or plastics.
- Vulkem 45SSL is easy to apply with conventional caulking equipment. Ensure that the backer rod is properly friction-fitted and any primers have been applied.
- Fill the joint completely with a proper width-to-depth ratio, and then tool to ensure intimate contact of sealant with joint substrates.
- Dry tooling is always preferred, although compatible wetting agents can be used in limited amounts to slick the spatula if needed after an initial pass.
- For a cleaner finish, mask the sides of the joint with tape prior to filling.
Vulkem 45SSL may be used in horizontal joint designed in accordance with accepted architectural/engineering practices. Joint width should be 4 times anticipated movement, but not less than 1/4” (6 mm) wide.
The minimum width and depth of any sealant application should be 1/4” x 1/4” (6 mm x 6 mm). The depth (D) of sealant may be equal to width (W) of joints that are less than 1/2” wide.
For joints ranging from 1/2” to 1” (13 mm to 25 mm) wide, the sealant depth should be approximately one-half of the joint width. The maximum depth (D) of any sealant application should be 1/2” (13 mm).
For joints that are wider than 1” (25 mm) contact your local Tremco Technical Representative.
Polyethylene backer rod is recommended as joint backing to control sealant depth and ensure intimate contact of sealant with joint substrate when tooling. Where depth of joint will prevent the use of backer rod, an adhesive backed polyethylene tape (bond breaker tape) should be used to prevent three-sided adhesion. All backing should be dry at the time of sealant application.
308’ of joint per gallon for a 1/4” x 1/4” (6 mm x 6 mm) joint.
At 23.9 °C, 50% RH a skin forms within 5 hr. Curing continues at a rate of approximately 1.6 mm per day. The cure time will increase as the temperature and/or humidity decrease. A good rule of thumb is one additional day of cure for every -12°C decrease in temperature.
Excess sealant and smears adjacent to the joint interface can be carefully removed with Tremcos Xylene before the sealant cures. Any utensils used for tooling can also be cleaned with Tremcos Xylene.
No compatible products found
Projects & Installers
No example projects listed
Tremco Vulkem 45SSLSemi-self-leveling, single-component, moisture-curing, low-modulus, polyurethane sealant